Each week in Advent, we light a candle. The first candle, which is purple, symbolizes hope. It’s sometimes called the “Prophecy Candle” in remembrance of the prophets who foretold the birth of Christ. It represents the expectation felt in anticipation of the Messiah’s coming.
The second candle, also purple, represents faith. It’s also called the “Bethlehem Candle” as a reminder of Mary and Joseph’s journey to Bethlehem.
This week in Church we light the third candle which is pink and symbolizes joy (rose is the liturgical colour for joy). It’s also called the “Shepard’s Candle,” It’s meant to remind us of the joy that the world experienced at the birth of Jesus.
On the fourth week of Advent, we will light the final purple candle which is sometimes called the “Angel’s Candle,”. It symbolizes peace. It reminds us of the message of the angels: “Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Men.”
The white candle placed in the middle of the wreath is to be lit on Christmas Eve. This candle is called the “Christ Candle” and represents the life of Christ. The colour white is for purity—because Christ is our sinless, pure Savior.
The symbolic ritual of lighting the Advent Candles will begin our 5pm and 11pm Christmas Eve services this year. Begin thinking about which service you might attend. And whom will you invite to come along with you to hear the Good News?
If you aren’t planning to invite others, perhaps you would like to join our team of volunteers to help make this the best Christmas ever!? Please let Tanya know if you can help. In particular, we need welcomers and some to help man the BBQ and jumping castle after the 5pm service. Thanks in anticipation of your beautiful service.
TEAR FUND USEFUL GIFT SHOP AT CCD
Give the gift of Clean Water, a Goat or a chicken to someone in the 3rd world!!!
The stall will be open on Sunday 12th and 19th of December in the Foyer before & after the 10.30 service & on Friday 24th December before & after the 5pm service.
* Extra time created by lockdown was well used to develop case work policy & procedures
*Excellent new mentors were trained ready for future programs.
PRAY: That plans for 2022 come to fruition.
– For Vi on the passing of her husband.
– For all the homeless people who access resources on site at CCD and need housing. Pray especially for Lisa to get a rental property ASAP.
– For the Vicarage renovations and funds needed. Give thanks for those who’ve already contributed to this project. May the rest of the needed funds come in!
– For all those struggling with finances, and those who’ve lost jobs recently; for job opportunities and God’s provision.
– For more people to join our gardening and maintenance teams.
– For more volunteers for our Op Shop team.
I hope to see you on Sunday.
Blessings to you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,